It's 2 am and you're thumbing through Instagram and sleep has yet to find you. You are thinking about the mile long to-do list you have to finish. You're thinking about all of the things that are going on in the news. You can't shut your brain off. Before you know it, it's 3 am and sleep still feels out of reach.
I have dealt with the above scenario more often that I can count. If you have ever experienced the above scenario my heart truly goes out to you. There is nothing more frustrating than wanting to go to sleep and not being able to.
We are all aware of the importance of quality sleep. We know that poor sleep is associated with lowered immune system, poor thinking, lowered sex drive (who the hell needs that), weight gain (fuuuun!), and it will affect your skin.
Unfortunately, the world we live in isn't conducive to getting quality sleep. Pressure to perform and accomplish, artificial lights and screens, excessive caffeine, sedentary lifestyle, and late night snacking can impact our quality of sleep. Oh and let's not forget the biggest reason K-I-D-S. I don't think I have slept a full night since becoming a Mom.
So whenever I hear about sleep tips, I am dialed allllll the way in. Here are a few of my favorite tips that have helped me over the years.
Ronni's Sleep Tips
1) Create a wind down ritual - I light our Fall to Sleep Candle, and run a warm bath to soak. I bathe for 20-30 minutes or until relaxed. I give myself a light massage with our Bath & Body Trio which has lavender essential oils. After that, I put on my favorite soft PJ's. Lastly, I do my skincare routine. Self-care time helps to relax me.
2) Make a cup of Decaf Tea - Drinking a cup of herbal Glow to Sleep Tea an hour before I go to bed helps to relax me more. The soothing herbs help with my digestive system and the warmth of the tea helps to relax me more.
3) Adjust the temperature in the room- Having your room too cool or too warm can affect the quality of your sleep and have you waking during the night. Find a temperature that is comfortable so that you can sleep peacefully.
4) Minimize screen time - Instead of looking at your phone, get out a book to read or your journal to write in. Books allow you to get into someone else's life which helps you to forget about your own for just a minute. Journaling will help get all of the racing thoughts onto paper and out of your head. This will ultimately make you feel much better.
5) Turn out the lights and breathe - Slipping on a comfortable sleep mask, turning out the lights, and just laying still while focusing on your breathing helps to further relax your mind and body. Before you know it, you will be off to dream land.
Don't allow of these tips to make you feel more anxious about getting quality sleep. It will just be one more thing that keeps you up at night. The best advice I can give, is to do one thing each night that will help you get better rest. Make sleep a priority.